Group visits to Portchester Castle
The best-preserved of the Roman 'Saxon Shore' forts and hugely impressive. An almost complete circuit of towered walls encloses a Norman keep offering fine views. A fascinating exhibition brings to life the story of the castle as a prisoner of war camp during the Napoleonic Wars.
We offer a 15% discount (10% for Stonehenge) for travel trade and organised groups of 11 or more paying visitors when payment is made in a single transaction.
Per group you also receive:
- free entry for one tour leader
- free entry for one coach driver
The tour leader, coach driver and any English Heritage members do not count towards the group totals.
Trade admission prices and opening times:
Please refer to our Trade Admission Prices & Site Opening Times brochure for pricing and opening times information at our top sites for groups.
Making a booking:
Contact information for making your group booking can be found in the Visit & Contact Information section below.
Please include the property name and date of visit in the subject line of your email along with the following information:
- Group name
- Name of property
- Tour reference/booking reference (if applicable)
- Date and time of arrival
- Number of visitors
Payment can be made on arrival by: cash, credit/debit card, cheque (made payable to The English Heritage Trust), Agency Voucher Scheme (AVS).
Visit & Contact information
- Coach parking: There are 2 free coach parking spaces on site.
- Catering: Small selection of snacks, hot and cold drinks are sold on site. There is also a tea room at the Church nearby which is run by church volunteers.
- Exhibition: An exhibition on the ground floor of the Keep interprets the history of the castle and Portchester village, and displays finds excavated on site from Roman, Saxon, Medieval and Napoleonic periods. There is a ramp which leads to the exhibition.
- Audio tour: You can enjoy an audio-tour at Portchester Castle using your own device.
- Access: Via drawbridge and level, smooth grass. Ground floors of the Keep and exhibition within reach via a ramp. No access above ground floor level. Compacted gravel paths lead to the outer Bailey and Roman walls.
- Average length of visit: 2 hours
Address: Church Road, Portchester, Hampshire PO16 9QW
Telephone: Portchester Castle: 02392 378291