Cover a range of curriculum objectives with a visit to Restormel Castle. Once a grand and luxurious medieval retreat, the castle now offers an opportunity to learn more about medieval life and how and why castles were built and defended.
Visit Restormel Castle to support your teaching in a fun and engaging way, and cover multiple topics across the curriculum.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places within the locality
- KS1 Geography: Use geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS2 History: Local history study. Study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Geography: Use geographical skills and fieldwork. Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS3 History: Local history study. Development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509
- GCSE History: Study of the historic environment
Free self-led visits
Book a free self-led visit and organise your day to fulfil your curriculum objectives. Explore the castle ruins and look out for the remains of grand rooms with large fireplaces and high windows. Climb the stone staircase from the castle to the wall walk to see the stunning views over the countryside, and imagine how these castle walls once defended Restormel from attack. There are also extensive grounds to enjoy a picnic lunch and spot local plants and wildlife.Find out more
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to help support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free Learning Resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team are on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study
Find out more
School visits from September 2020
Education bookings for learners of all ages and abilities will be open from 31 August, and you’ll be able to book for visits from September 2020 to March 2021. If you already have a booking with us in that time, we’ll be in touch over the next few weeks.
In the meantime if you have a query related to an existing booking or would like more information please email email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you again soon.