Plan Your Visit
Welcome to Whitby Abbey
We have introduced limits on visitor numbers to help keep everyone safe, and you won’t be able to visit without your booking confirmation. If you’re a Member, your ticket will be free, but you still need to book in advance. To book your visit, click the button below.
Although things might be a little different when you visit, you’ll still be able to enjoy exploring the places where history really happened. And you’ll still be given a warm and safe welcome by our friendly – if socially distant – staff and volunteers.
- Abbey - The Abbey and grounds will be open with a one way system in operation.
- Museum - The exhibition will be open.
- Shop - The shop will be open for ticket holders only.
- Toilets - The council operated toilets near the site entrance are open as usual. The visitor centre toilets remain closed.
- Site entrance - All visitor access will be via the Headland car park entrance. If you approach the site via the 199 steps, please follow the abbey curtain wall round to the entrance.
- Summer Explorer Quest - This summer, from 18 July, take your family on a free fun adventure quest. Dowload your trail map here.
Find out what Facilities are available for your day out.
Here you can find out everything you need to know about parking, toilets and shopping at Whitby Abbey as well as other useful information.
Look up Access information for your visit. We have detailed information about what to expect if you have particular needs regarding:
- Mobility/Older Visitors
- Blind/Visually Impaired
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Learning Difficulties
- Health and Safety.
Find out what you need to know for Group Visits.
Look up what discounts there are for groups, as well as how to book your group visit, and see information about tours that may be available.