Explore 700 years of history at Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens through the story of the Middleton family. From the medieval castle to Ancient Greek inspired architecture and stunning gardens, there are plenty of learning opportunities to support your teaching across the curriculum and bring learning to life.
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
Visit Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens to support your teaching in a fun and engaging way, and cover multiple topics accross the curriculum.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places within the locality
- KS1 Science: Identify and name a variety of common wild and garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees, identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees. Identify that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited, identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including microhabitats
- KS1 Geography: Use geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS2 History: Local history study. Study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Science: Working scientifically. Identify and name a variety of living things in the local and wider environment
- KS2 Geography: Use geographical skills and fieldwork. Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS3 History: Local History study. Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1750
- GCSE History: Study of the historic environment
Free self-led visits
Book a free self-led visit to Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens and organise your day to suit your curriculum objectives. Discover the medieval castle with its impressive tower, and learn how it changed over time to match the needs of the Middleton family. See the Ancient Greek inspired architecture in the hall, and visit the beautiful gardens to explore the vast range of plants and habitats.Enquire now
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
We’re here to support your school trip planning this term. Book your visit online. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance. Please make sure you check our terms and conditions ahead of your visit.
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch to speak to your local Education Visits Officer.