Explore 700 years of history at Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens through the story of the Middleton family. From the medieval castle to Ancient Greek inspired architecture and stunning gardens, there are plenty of learning opportunities to support your teaching across the curriculum and bring learning to life.
Visit Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens to support your teaching in a fun and engaging way, and cover multiple topics accross the curriculum.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places within the locality
- KS1 Science: Identify and name a variety of common wild and garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees, identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees. Identify that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited, identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including microhabitats
- KS1 Geography: Use geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS2 History: Local history study. Study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Science: Working scientifically. Identify and name a variety of living things in the local and wider environment
- KS2 Geography: Use geographical skills and fieldwork. Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS3 History: Local History study. Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1750
- GCSE History: Study of the historic environment
Free self-led visits
Book a free self-led visit to Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens and organise your day to suit your curriculum objectives. Discover the medieval castle with its impressive tower, and learn how it changed over time to match the needs of the Middleton family. See the Ancient Greek inspired architecture in the hall, and visit the beautiful gardens to explore the vast range of plants and habitats.Find out more
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
Find out more
School visits from September 2020
Education bookings for learners of all ages and abilities will be open from 31 August, and you’ll be able to book for visits from September 2020 to March 2021. If you already have a booking with us in that time, we’ll be in touch over the next few weeks.
In the meantime if you have a query related to an existing booking or would like more information please email email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you again soon.