Group visits to Carlisle Castle
Squat and thick-walled, Carlisle Castle emanates strength and menace. It needed both, because for many centuries it commanded the wild west end of the Anglo-Scottish frontier - guarding the most frequently attacked town in Britain. Continuously updated over the centuries, this hard-bitten old campaigner of a castle can now reveal its secrets to your group.
We offer a 15% discount (10% for Stonehenge) for travel trade and organised groups of 11 or more paying visitors when payment is made in a single transaction.
Per group you also receive:
- free entry for one tour leader
- free entry for one coach driver
The tour leader, coach driver and any English Heritage members do not count towards the group totals.
Join our mailing list for more exclusive offers, Travel Trade news and useful updates from English Heritage.Join the mailing list
Trade admission prices and opening times:
Please refer to our Trade Admission Prices & Site Opening Times brochure for pricing and opening times information at our top sites for groups.
Making a booking:
Contact information for making your group booking can be found in the Visit & Contact Information section below.
Please include the property name and date of visit in the subject line of your email along with the following information:
- Group name
- Name of property
- Tour reference/booking reference (if applicable)
- Date and time of arrival
- Number of visitors
Payment can be made on arrival by: cash, credit/debit card, Agency Voucher Scheme (AVS).
Visit & Contact information
- Joint ticket: A great value joint ticket with Cumbria's Museum of Military Life is available.
- Coach parking: No coach parking on site. Park in Devonshire Walk car park(CA3 8UL)(pay & display), adjacent to the west side of the castle, approx. 5 minute walk to property entrance.
- Catering: Vending machine selling hot drinks. Shop sells a selection of snacks including crisps, cold drinks, confectionery and ice cream
- Exhibition: Fascinating exhibition about the history of Carlisle Castle. This highlights key moments and stories from the castle’s history, including a reconstruction graphic of its original Norman Keep; its role in Anglo-Scottish border warfare; the Civil War and Jacobite Rising sieges and the fortress’s long connection with the King’s Own Royal Border Regiment. It is wheelchair accessible. There is also an interactive audio-visual display allowing visitors to explore the castle.
- Access: Wheelchair access is limited. The new exhibition and grounds are accessible. However, the shop, Keep, Ramparts and Captain's Tower are not wheelchair accessible.
- Average length of visit: 1.5 hours
Address: Castle Way, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8UR
Email: email@example.com (group bookings)
Telephone: Carlisle Castle: 01228 591922 (general enquiries only)
Local TIC: Please call 01228 598596 if you would like information on other things to do in the area.
Aerial fam trip
Take flight above the squat and thick-walled Carlisle Castle. It commanded the wild west end of the Anglo-Scottish frontier - guarding he most frequently attacked town in Britain.
Group Travel Support
Further support and useful resources available to group travel organisers can be found on our dedicated Group Visits webpages.
For educational groups, please visit our School Visits webpages.
Join our mailing list for more exclusive offers, Travel Trade news and useful updates from English Heritage.