Carlisle Castle is a unique place to help you bring history to life. Discover the most beseiged castle in England and let your class explore as part of a free self-led visit, or interact with stories and artefacts as part of an immersive expert-led workshop.
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
- English Heritage are legally required to request and record the contact details of customers and visitors aged 16 years and over. The information that you provide will only be shared with NHS Test and Trace, if requested. For more information and for details of our safety measures, please see our what to expect page.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
A visit to Carlisle Castle offers curriculum learning across the key stages:
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality
- KS1-3 History: Local History Study
- KS2 History: The Roman withdrawal from Britain in c. AD 410 and the fall of the western Roman Empire; a study of an aspect or theme in British History that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1745; ideas, political power, industry and empire: Britain 1745-1901
- KS4 History: OCR History B: History around us
Free Self-Led Visits
Book a free education visit and organise your day to suit your curriculum needs. Explore Carlisle Castle at your own pace, including the Warden's Apartments, once the bedroom of King Richard III, the Captain's Tower, one of the best preserved gatehouses in the country, and the turret in which Mary, Queen of Scots was held captive. Discover the stories of the castle’s most famous inhabitants in the exhibition, from Mary, Queen of Scots and Bonnie Prince Charlie, to notorious Border Reiver Kinmont Willie Armstrong.
Download our free Teachers' Kit to help you plan your visit to Carlisle Castle, including site details, historical information and activity suggestions for before, during and after your visit.Enquire now
Expert-led Discovery Visit
We aren’t running Discovery Visits at this site at the moment – we’re unable to adapt our sessions in a way that would still provide a quality, immersive education experience. We can get in touch with you once it’s running again – just sign up below to be notified when bookings are open.Register your interest
Plan Your Trip
School visits academic year 2020-21
In line with government guidance, we’re pleased to confirm that over 60 of our English Heritage sites are open for education visits from 12 April, and we’re now taking bookings online up to 16 May.
Our COVID-secure measures will remain in place until all restrictions are lifted. Visitor numbers are limited, and all bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance.
English Heritage are legally required to request and record the contact details of customers and visitors aged 16 years and over. The information that you provide will only be shared with NHS Test and Trace, if requested. For more information and for details of our safety measures, please see our what to expect page.
Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer.