Cover a range of curriculum objectives with a visit to Cleeve Abbey. Give your class a real taste of medieval monastic like at this well-reserved Cistercian monastery, with buildings to explore and activities themed around the beautiful 13th century floor tiles.
Support your teaching in the classroom by stepping out of it. A visit to Cleeve Abbey will help you bring learning to life, covering multiple topics across the curriculum and key stages.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality
- KS1 Art and Design: Use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- KS2 History: A local history study. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Art and Design: Create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509
- KS3 Art and Design: History of art, craft, design and architecture, including periods, styles andmajor movements from ancient times up to the present day.
Free self-led visits
Book a free self-led visit to Cleeve Abbey and organise your day to suit your curriculum objectives. Explore the monastic buildings, including the cloister, refectory, dormitory and chapter house. Look out for the fireplaces and exposed wattle and daub in the cloister, and the secret ‘Green Man’ hidden in the refectory. Peer into the painted chamber to see the 15th century wall painting showing a scene from the Gesta Romanorum, and see if you can spot the medieval graffiti of a monk’s head by the door in the gallery.Enquire now
Plan your visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. You can find all our site-specific information and tools below, and for Covid-19 risk assessments and measures we’ve got in place please visit our what to expect page.
Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip. We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Visit our bookings page to start planning your trip!
0370 333 0606
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch using the online form on our bookings page to speak to your local Education Visits Officer. We look forward to seeing you soon.