From mighty medieval Norman fortress to luxurious Tudor mansion, learn about the castle's time as a Civil War stronghold, before eventually becoming a romantic Victorian ruin. This impressive site documents over 900 years of English history.
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places; study of castles
- KS2 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends the pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1750
- GCSE History: Study of the historic environment
Free Self-led Visits
Book a free self-led visit to discover 900 years of history at Helmsley Castle. By booking a free education visit you can lead your day in your own way. Explore the castle ruins and learn more about the site in the hands-on interactive exhibition in the mansion house. We also have plenty of online resources to help you plan your day at Helmsley Castle, and support learning before, during and after your visit.ENQUIRE NOW
PLAN YOUR VISIT
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
How to book
0370 333 0606
Education Opening Times
- April to September: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 18.00
- October to 3 November: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 17.00
- 4 November to 16 February: Friday to Sunday 10.00 – 16.00
- 24 February to 31 March: Friday to Sunday 10.00 – 16.00