Bring the curriculum to life and inspire your students at the former home of Charles Darwin and the site where the internationally renowned 'On the Origin of Species' was written. From Victorian interiors and original furniture inside the house, to gardens of Special Scientific Interest, there is plenty for school groups to see at Down House.
Support your teaching at Down House with many links to the curriculum from history to science and local history
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality; lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements
- KS1-2 Science: Working scientifically, animals and plants, living things and their habitats
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS2 History: Study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Science: Evolution and inheritance
- KS3 History: Ideas, political power, industry and empire: Britain 1745-190
- KS3 Science: Working scientifically, biology: genetics and evolution
Free self-led visits
Explore and discover the authentic Victorian interiors, reflecting the home in which Darwin and his wife Emma raised their children. An immersive on-site exhibition guides you through Darwin's voyage aboard the Beagle from 1831-36, his scientific discoveries and the impact of his revolutionary theories on Victorian society. Continue your voyage outside to the extensive gardens which include Darwin's 'outdoor laboratory' and famous 'thinking path'. Can your class spot the working observation beehive and carnivorous plants?Enquire Now
Expert-led Discovery Visits
Let our experts lead your pupils on a hands-on Discovery Visit and discover more about Darwin’s theory of evolution. At just £100 per session per class, it’s a great way to combine inspiring experiences with quality learning.Find out more
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.