Immerse your class in the history of Mount Grace Priory, from medieval origins and a successful priory, to a family home. To help you plan your trip, our new Teacher's Kit is full of helpful information, activity ideas and inspiration for learning in the classroom before and after your visit.
Please note: Education visits are currently not available at this site.
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
Bring history and the curriculum to life at Mount Grace Priory:
- KS1 History: The lives of significant individuals in the past
- KS1 Science: Identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats
- KS1 Geography: Develop knowledge about their locality.
- KS1-2 Art & Design: Know about great artists, craft makers and designers
- KS1-3 History: Local history study
- KS2 Science: Identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Britain
- KS3 Religious Education: How and why individuals and communities express the meanings of their beliefs and values
- KS4 Religious Education: Investigate and analyse the beliefs and practices of religions
Free self-led visits
Immerse your class in the history of Mount Grace Priory, from medieval origins to a successful monastery, to a family home. Learn about the life of Carthusian monks in the reconstructed monk's cell, tour the Arts & Crafts manor house, looking out for William Morris designs, and explore the beautiful gardens. Our new Teacher's kit is designed to help you plan your trip, with useful information and ideas for activities and learning opportuinities before, during and after your visit.Enquire now
Do you know your Carthusians from your Benedictines? Learn about the differences betweent the four major monastic movements: the Benedictines, Cluniacs, Carthusians and Cistercians, in this short animation.
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.