A mighty Iron Age hill fort where Salisbury's first cathedral once stood, Old Sarum is a unique location where people from prehistory to the Middle Ages have invaded and settled.
"We had a great day, thanks very much. Staff were very friendly and well organised!"
Churchfield Church School
- KS1 History: How people's lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS1-3 Geography: Human and physical geography, geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS2 History: Changes in Britain from the Stone Age to the Iron Age; Viking and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the Kingdom of England to the time of Edward the Confessor; study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509, challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day, causes and events of the civil wars throughout Britain
- KS3 Art and Design: The history of art, craft and architecture
- KS4 History: OCR Specification B 2c. Introduction to history around us
Free self-led visits
Book a free self-led visit to Old Sarum to explore William the Conqueror's castle and stand in the footprint of Salisbury's original cathedral. Learn about the people who lived and worked at Old Sarum using our range of free resources, including our 'Hidden Now Heard' activity backpacks with character cards, maps, handling objects and activities to discover the following time periods:
- Early: Iron Age to Vikings, 120BC-1003AD
- Middle: Medieval, 1086-1260
- Modern: Victorian to the 21st century, 1830-2008
Reserve our activity backpacks when you book your visit, and download the free resources below to help you plan and organise your day.Enquire now
Plan Your Visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.