Help your class explore the history of Pendennis, from Tudor times to today, with one of our many ways to learn.
"Thank you for a stimulating and brilliant workshop and visit. Will come back again!"
on our Now and Then Discovery Visit
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. Most of our English Heritage sites are now open, including indoor spaces and cafes. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
- KS1-3 History: Local History Study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS2 History: Study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1745, ideas, political power, industry and empire in Britain 1745-1901, and challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day
- GCSE History: Study of the historic environment
Free Self-led Visits
One of the finest of the mighty fortresses built by Henry VIII to defend the country against invasion, Pendennis Castle remains one of Cornwall's greatest fortresses. With over 400 years of defending Britain's coasts, and a range of ways to learn on-site, we've got everything you need to help you cover a wide range of cross-curricular topics.
The Cornwall Heritage Trust offer funding for school transport to eligible schools. Find out more and fill out an application form to see if you can cover the costs of transport on your trip to Pendennis.Enquire now
Expert-led Discovery Visits
Bring Pendennis Castle to life and let us lead a Discovery Visit for you. Our Enemies on the Horizon (KS2-KS3) session has been adapted to follow health and safety guidelines and will still offer your students a quality and fun learning experience.
We can’t run our Now and Then Discovery Visit at the moment as we’re unable to adapt the session in a way that would still provide a quality, immersive education experience. We can get in touch with you once it’s running again – just sign up to get notified when bookings are back open.
FIND OUT MORE about Enemies on the Horizon
Plan Your Visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
We’re pleased to confirm we’re now taking bookings online until 30 September. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance.
Our site staff and education team are still working hard to keep everyone safe and we continue to follow government guidance.
Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer.