Pevensey Castle has a long history dating back over 16 centuries, which began with the Romans in the fourth century and was famously the place where William the Conqueror landed in 1066. Bring your teaching to life and stand at the spot where history happened.
"Visiting sites such as Pevensey Castle is great for taking learning out of the classroom and making it much more real - helping increase pupil engagement and developing greater depth of understanding". James Whitaker, Head of History Bede's School
Bring history to life with a visit to Pevensey Castle and inspire your students. Not only can you cover multiple time periods and topics during a visit, but cross curricular links too.
- KS1-3 History: Local history study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places; study of castles
- KS2 History: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain; a study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The Norman Conquest; The development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509
- KS3-4 Geography: Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS4 History: AQA Section B: British depth studies including the historic environment, Norman England; Edexcel Paper 2B1; Anglo Saxon and Norman England 1060-1088; OCR History A; Study of the historic environment; OCR History B; History around us, British depth study, The Norman Conquest 1060-1087
- KS5 History: OCR Unit Y102/Y132: Anglo Saxon England and the Norman Conquest 1035-1107; AQA Unit HIS2A: Conqueror and Conquest c1060-1087; Edexcel Paper 2, Option 2A.1: Anglo Saxon England and the Anglo-Norman Kingdom c1053-1106
Free Self-Led Visits
Discover the place where the Norman Conquest of England began, on a free visit with your class. Retrace the steps of William the Conqueror after he landed at Pevensey on 28th September 1066, as he prepared to march his army into the now famous Battle of Hastings, and explore how the original Roman fort developed into a medieval fortress. Download our Teachers’ Kit, including site details, historical information and activity suggestions to support learning before, during and after your visit.Enquire Now
Plan your trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.