Once staffed by over 100 servants and host to lavish parties, Witley Court was accidentally burned to a roofless shell in 1937. Today, it is a spectacular ruin hinting at past grandeur, with vast grounds and woodlands to explore.
A visit to Witley Court offers cross curriculum links across the key stages:
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS1 Science: Identify and name a variety of common wild and garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees, identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees. Identify that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited, identify and name a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including microhabitats
- KS2 History: A local history study. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils’ chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Science: Working scientifically. Identify and name a variety of living things in the local and wider environment
- KS3 History: A local history study. Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day
Free Self-led Visits
Book a free self-led visit to Witley Court and organise your day to suit your curriculum objectives. Discover the beautiful shell of this colossal Victorian country house mansion, with its sweeping driveway, impressive architecture and fountains. Explore the vast grounds, including gardens and woodland, to study a range of plants, wildlife and habitats.Enquire now
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. You can find all our site-specific information and tools below, and further information on our what to expect page.
Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip. We also offer free planning visits once you have made a booking, plus a 20% discount on the official English Heritage guidebook for your place of choice.
Once you book your visit you’ll be sent a visit permit, which you’ll need to bring with you on the day.
Visit our bookings page to start planning your trip!
Witley Court Teachers' Kit
Discover the story behind this atmospheric ruin and get outdoors with our seasonal spotter sheets using our Witley Court Teachers' Kit.
Teaching the Victorians
Use historical information, learning activities and tips from our historians, curators and educational experts to support your teaching of the Victorians.
Postcard from Witley Court and Gardens
Take to the skies above Witley Court and Gardens to discover the site and its surroundings.
0370 333 0606
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch using the online form on our bookings page to speak to your local Education Visits Officer. We look forward to seeing you soon.