A school visit to Wroxeter Roman City is truly a unique experience. Book a free self-led visit, or allow our experts to guide your students through the remains of what was once one of the largest towns in Roman Britain.
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
- English Heritage are legally required to request and record the contact details of customers and visitors aged 16 years and over. The information that you provide will only be shared with NHS Test and Trace, if requested. For more information and for details of our safety measures, please see our what to expect page.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
Wroxeter Roman City provides cross-curricular links across numerous subjects in a fun and engaging way.
- KS1-3 History: Local History Study
- KS1 History: How people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- KS2 History: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain: Julius Caesar’s attempted invasion in 55 - 54 BC, the Roman Empire by AD 42 and the power of its army; successful invasion by Claudius and conquest; the 'Romanisation' of Britain and the impact of technology, culture and beliefs
- KS2-3 History: The legacy of Greek or Roman culture (art, architecture or literature) on later periods in British history, including the present day
- KS3 History: Study of an aspect or theme in British history from before 1066
Free Self-Led Visits
Book your free self-led visit to Wroxeter Roman City. You and your class can walk in the footsteps of the citizens and slaves of the infamous Roman Empire and exercise where Roman citizens would have trained over 2000 years ago.Enquire now
Expert-Led Discovery Visits
Let us inspire your students with a Discovery Visit at Wroxeter Roman City, led by one of our experts. Our sessions have been developed especially to provide fun and inspiring education activities for your class, bringing history and the curriculum to life. Sessions from £100 per group.
Our Romans at Wroxeter Discovery Visit has been adapted to follow health and safety guidelines and will still offer your students a quality and fun learning experience.
We can’t run 'A Wroxeter Experience' Discovery Visit at the moment as we’re unable to adapt the session in a way that would still provide a quality, immersive education experience. We can get in touch with you once it’s running again – just sign up to get notified when bookings are back open.
FIND OUT MORE about Romans at Wroxeter
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
School visits academic year 2020-21
In line with government guidance, we’re pleased to confirm that over 60 of our English Heritage sites are open for education visits from 12 April, and we’re now taking bookings online up to 16 May.
Our COVID-secure measures will remain in place until all restrictions are lifted. Visitor numbers are limited, and all bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance.
English Heritage are legally required to request and record the contact details of customers and visitors aged 16 years and over. The information that you provide will only be shared with NHS Test and Trace, if requested. For more information and for details of our safety measures, please see our what to expect page.
Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer.