Our historic sites have been used to provide unique and authentic backdrops for numerous films, photo shoots and television shows.
Contact Filming Enquiries to find out more about hiring one of our locations for a shoot.
HIRING OUR SITES FOR YOUR NEXT PROJECT
English Heritage cares for over 400 historic sites across the country, and each and every one of them is ready to welcome your filming or photography project.
From mysterious stone circles to mighty medieval castles, from grand Georgian houses to Victorian gardens, and from icons of the Industrial Revolution to chilling relics of the Cold War, our unique and flexible locations offer you endless possibilities. And, thanks to our nationwide collection, we can help you find the perfect location whether you’re creating a series on the Cornish coast or shooting a film in the Cumbrian hills.
Discover below just a few of the previous productions that feature many of our sites. Seen something of interest? We'd love to hear from you! Contact our Venue Hire team at Filming.firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 0300 020 0017
Find your next filming location
THE BIG SCREEN
Bridgerton, Netflix, Season 1-3, (2020-2023)
Ranger's House plays a starring role in the Netflix popular television series, Bridgerton. As the facade of the Bridgerton family residence, Ranger's House is an authentic Georgian backdrop with a history every bit as fascinating as the Netflix hit drama.
The Crown, Netflix, Season 1-3, (2020-2023)
Eltham Palace was used in 2016 as a location by Netflix’s Golden Globe-winning series The Crown, which documents the early reign of Elizabeth II and stars Claire Foy and Matt Smith. Other scenes (including in later series starring Olivia Colman as the queen) were filmed at Audley End House and Gardens and Dover Castle.
Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
The Georgian mansion of Sutton Scarsdale Hall featured in this Warner Bros movie as the charred remains of the famous Wayne Manor.
A film based on the story of Dido Elizabeth Belle, who lived at Kenwood, so it’s only right the film should have shot some scenes there too.
Darkest Hour (2017)
A room at Brodsworth Hall and Gardens featured as a Downing Street bedroom to host a meeting between Winston Churchill and King George VI.
The Death of Stalin (2017)
Several areas of Wrest Park featured in Armando Iannucci’s satire about the scramble for power following the death of Joseph Stalin. The drawing room doubles as the Hall of Columns, while the garage hosts a trial.
Starring Cate Blanchett in the title role, Elizabeth used Aydon Castle as the location for both a torture chamber and the apartment of Elizabeth’s aide, Sir Francis Walsingham. Scenes were also filmed at Warkworth Castle.
Jane Eyre (2011)
Just one of the adaptations of Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre to feature an English Heritage property, this version (starring Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender and Jamie Bell) included Wingfield Manor as the remains of Thornfield Hall.
Mansfield Park (1999)
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)
Stan & Ollie (2018)
Scenes of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy’s Hollywood dressing room were actually filmed at Eltham Palace and Gardens in this biopic starring Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly.
Transformers: The Last Knight (2017)
Victoria and Abdul (2017)
This is the first film to feature the interiors of Osborne – Queen Victoria’s Isle of Wight holiday home appears in a significant portion of the movie.
Wonder Woman (2017)
The first action movie to film at Tilbury Fort saw it transformed with a large set in the parade ground. The fort was also a key location in BBC drama Taboo.
A-Z of previous film productions featuring our sites
- Catherine Called Birdy (2021), Stokesay Castle
- Downton Abbey: A New Era (2022), Wrest Park
- Dracula (2020), Whitby Abbey
- Hamlet (1990), Dover Castle
- Into the Woods (2014), Dover Castle and Waverley Abbey
- King Arthur (2004), Stonehenge
- Mrs Brown (1997), Osborne
- My Lady Jane (2023), Dover Castle
- Nanny McPhee Returns (2010), Marble Hill House
- Notting Hill (1999), Kenwood
- Onegin (1999), The Grange at Northington
- Peterloo (2018), Gainsborough Old Hall and Tilbury Fort
- Testament of Youth (2014), Brodsworth Hall and Gardens
- The Huntsman: Winter’s War (2016), Waverley Abbey
- The Kid Who Would Be King (2019), Tintagel Castle
- The Mummy (2017), Waverley Abbey
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008), Dover Castle
- The Thirteenth Tale (2013), Brodsworth Hall and Gardens
- Tulip Fever (2017), Tilbury Fort
- Venus (2006), Kenwood
- Wonka (2023), Eltham Palace
A-Z of previous TV productions featuring our sites
- Belgravia (2020), Wrest Park
- Brideshead Revisited (2008), Eltham Palace and Gardens
- Coldplay live performance (2021), Whitby Abbey
- Dracula (2020), Whitby Abbey
- Gentleman Jack (2020-21), Rievaulx Abbey
- Horrible Histories (2022), Eltham Palace
- King Lear (2018), Dover Castle
- Outlander (2014), Carlisle Castle
- Queens that Changed the World (2023), Osborne
- Scarborough (2019-20), Scarborough Castle
- SS-GB (2017), Tilbury Fort
- Taboo (2017), Tilbury Fort
- The Royals (2015–18), Wrest Park
- The UnXplained with William Shatner (2021), Tintagel Castle
- Trust (2018), Audley End House and Gardens
- Vanity Fair (2018), Marble Hill House
- Victoria (2016–), Brodsworth Hall and Gardens and Osborne
- Wolf Hall (2015), Bradford-on-Avon Tithe Barn and Dover Castle
With over 400 sites to choose from English Heritage can provide a diverse portfolio of locations available to hire for commercial filming opportunities across the country.
With historically authentic locations ranging from prehistory to the present day, we are sure to be able to provide you with a great selection of film friendly options for all varieties of commercial filming.
See all the locations and properties that are available to hire for film, TV and photography. Click on our locations map to view all.
The size of the property (Ranger's House) fitted the brief perfectly as it feels grand, yet it has a welcoming quality that is not always the case with period houses of this size.
English Heritage were fantastic to deal with over the filming of Coldplay at Whitby Abbey. As such an iconic site, English Heritage displayed a real ‘can do’ attitude to the ever-growing production requirements to film one of the biggest bands in the world, with incredibly high production values.
We had an absolutely marvellous time shooting our documentary drama inserts for BBC Studios' Countdown to Abdication series at Eltham Palace in early 2023. Thank you so much to the whole team for making it possible. Eltham really is a stunning location - an absolute gem.
The English Heritage Staff at Dover Castle are people who clearly love what they do and this made our shoot day so much easier.
Be inspired and get in touch
With over 400 historic sites ready to hire as filming locations, browse our filming lookbook to inspire your next project.
Have a question for our Venue Hire team? We'd love to hear from you! Contact us for more information at Filming.email@example.com
Download our enquiry form
Download our filming enquiry form and send a completed version to our Venue Hire team. Download here: Filming Enquiry Form.