What better way to learn about 1066 and the Battle of Hastings than by walking in the footsteps of William the Conqueror and King Harold at Battle Abbey? Standing where history was made, your students will better understand the events leading up to the Battle of Hastings and beyond.
"A fantastic educational experience for the whole class; the Battle of Hastings was brought to life with battle cries, sword swinging and fantastic scenery that inspired all the pupils."
Step back in time and bring 1066 and the curriculum to life:
- KS1-3 History: Local history study
- KS2 History: Edward the Confessor and his death in 1066
- KS2-3 Geography: Why did the battle take place here?
- KS2-3 Drama: Become Saxon and Norman soldiers, charging up the hill
- KS2-3 Religious Studies: Religion in daily life, why was an abbey built on the site and who lived there?
- KS3 History: The Norman Conquest, the development of Church, state and society in Britain
- KS4 History: OCR History A: Study of the historic environment; OCR History B: History around us, British depth study, The Norman Conquest 1060 - 1087; AQA Section B: British depth study including the historic environment, Norman England; Edexcel Paper2B1: Anglo Saxon and Norman England 1060 - 1088
- KS5 History: OCR Unit Y102/Y132: Anglo Saxon England and the Norman Conquest 1035 - 1107; AQA Unit HIS2A: Conqueror and Conquest c 1060 - 1087; Edexcel Paper 2, Option 2A.1: Anglo Saxon England and the Anglo-Norman Kingdom c1053 - 1106
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Battle Abbey and design your day to suit your curriculum needs. The activities in our new Teachers' Kit will help your students imagine what it was like to be a Norman charging across the battlefield, how it felt to be part of the Anglo-Saxon shield wall, or how the Norman cavalry helped them to victory. Plus, use our new Discovery Chest to explore Battle Abbey and learn about the lives of the monks who lived and worked there, with learnng activities and replica objects.ENQUIRE NOW
Expert-led Discovery Visits
Our immersive expert-led sessions at Battle Abbey are a great way to bring the Battle of Hastings to life. Pupils will dress up, handle weapons and delve deeper into this important subject and date in history.
Just £100 per session (for approximately 30 pupils).FIND OUT MORE
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
How To Book
Education Opening Times
- March: Wednesday to Sunday 10.00 – 16.00
- April to September: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 18.00
- October: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 17.00
- November: Monday, Friday to Sunday 10.00 – 16.00
- December to February: Saturday and Sunday 10.00 – 16.00