Framlingham is a magnificent example of late 12th-century castle. Book a free self-led visit to explore the inside of the castle walls through the main gatehouse, complete the 'wall walk' along the top of the castle, and learn about the history of Framlingham Castle from the illustrated display.
Our education offer at Framlingham Castle encompases a visit to a historically important and fascinating castle which spans nearly 1,000 years of history.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places; study of castles
- KS1-3 History: Local history study
- KS1-2 History: Britain's settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots
- KS2 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2-3 Geography: Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1745; The Magna Carter and emergence of parliament
- KS4 History: OCR Specification A; study of the historic environment: 'Castles: Form and Function c.1000-1750'
Free Self-led Visits
Through the main gatehouse, Framlingham Castle has a large open space within the castle walls to explore features such as the Medieval Hall that once stood here. The wall walk allows pupils to explore all thirteen of the towers around the complete circumference of Framlingham Castle, and the exhibition room within Framlingham's Poorhouse has information about the history of the castle, as well as interactive activities.
A resource which has been developed to support teaching of OCR specification A; study of the historic environment: Castles: Form and function c. 1000-1750, can be downloaded from the Find Teaching and Learning Resources section on the OCR website.ENQUIRE NOW
PLAN YOUR VISIT
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
How to book
0370 333 0606
Education Opening Times
- March: Monday, Friday to Sunday 10.00 – 16.00
- April to September: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 18.00
- October: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 17.00
- November: Monday, Friday to Sunday 10.00 – 16.00
- December to February: Saturday and Sunday 10.00 – 16.00