Framlingham is a magnificent example of late 12th-century castle. Book a free self-led visit to explore the inside of the castle walls through the main gatehouse, complete the 'wall walk' along the top of the castle, and learn about the history of Framlingham Castle from the illustrated display.
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
Our education offer at Framlingham Castle encompases a visit to a historically important and fascinating castle which spans nearly 1,000 years of history.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality. Study of castles
- KS2 History: A local history study. Britain's settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Geography: Human geography: types of settlement and land use. Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS3 History: A local history study. The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1745. The Magna Carter and emergence of parliament
- KS3 Geography: Human geography: Understand how human and physical processes interact to influence and change landscapes. Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS4 History: OCR Specification A; study of the historic environment: 'Castles: Form and Function c.1000-1750'
Free Self-led Visits
Through the main gatehouse, Framlingham Castle has a large open space within the castle walls to explore features such as the Medieval Hall that once stood here. The wall walk allows pupils to explore all thirteen of the towers around the complete circumference of Framlingham Castle, and the exhibition room within Framlingham's Poorhouse has information about the history of the castle, as well as interactive activities.Enquire now
PLAN YOUR VISIT
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
We’re here to support your school trip planning this term. Book your visit online. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance. Please make sure you check our terms and conditions ahead of your visit.
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch to speak to your local Education Visits Officer.