Framlingham is a magnificent example of late 12th-century castle. Book a free self-led visit to explore the inside of the castle walls through the main gatehouse, complete the 'wall walk' along the top of the castle, and learn about the history of Framlingham Castle from the illustrated display.
Our education offer at Framlingham Castle encompases a visit to a historically important and fascinating castle which spans nearly 1,000 years of history.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality. Study of castles
- KS2 History: A local history study. Britain's settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Geography: Human geography: types of settlement and land use. Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS3 History: A local history study. The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1745. The Magna Carter and emergence of parliament
- KS3 Geography: Human geography: Understand how human and physical processes interact to influence and change landscapes. Understand the strategic significance of the castle’s position
- KS4 History: OCR Specification A; study of the historic environment: 'Castles: Form and Function c.1000-1750'
Free Self-led Visits
Through the main gatehouse, Framlingham Castle has a large open space within the castle walls to explore features such as the Medieval Hall that once stood here. The wall walk allows pupils to explore all thirteen of the towers around the complete circumference of Framlingham Castle, and the exhibition room within Framlingham's Poorhouse has information about the history of the castle, as well as interactive activities.Find out more
PLAN YOUR VISIT
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
School visits from September 2020
Education bookings for learners of all ages and abilities are now open and you’ll be able to make provisional bookings for visits from September 2020 to March 2021. Please be aware that it may take us a little longer than usual to come back to you as we continue to review and update our offer.
In the meantime if you have a query related to an existing booking or would like more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you again soon.