Bring your lesson to life at one of London's most elegant historic houses and home to the extensive Wernher art collection. This Georgian villa is the perfect place to experience culture and inspire creativity.
“Having just got back from a school visit to the Ranger's House, I can safely say the students had a rich and fantastically contextual experience which inspired them all in the starting point of their next art and textile theme of ‘heritage’. Would highly recommend!”
Mr Hopkins, GCSE Art Teacher at St Matthews Academy, Blackheath
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. Most of our English Heritage sites are now open, including indoor spaces and cafes. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
Bring art and history to life at Ranger's House:
- KS4-5 Art & Design, Art History: Develop knowledge and understanding of art, craft and design in historical contexts, societies and cultures.
Free self-led visits
Discover the beautiful interiors of Ranger's House, and the Wernher collection, with over 700 works of art, including medieval sculptures, enamels, ornate jewellery, Renaissance paintings, Dutch Old Masters and French tapestries. To make the most of your visit, download our KS4 Self-Led Artworks Guide, for invaluable insight into the history of art, artists and craftspeople as well as useful site information.Enquire now
Book A Free Exclusive Conservation Tour
Enhance your visit and book a free behind-the-scenes tour of the conservation studio. This is an exclusive opportunity for students to discover what is involved in conserving precious paintings and frames. These tours are subject to staff availability and must be booked in advance of your visit. Please book your tour when booking your visit to Ranger's House. Please note, a maximum of ten students are allowed in the studio at one time.
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to help support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free Learning Resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team are on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
We’re pleased to confirm we’re now taking bookings online until 30 September. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance.
Our site staff and education team are still working hard to keep everyone safe and we continue to follow government guidance.
Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer.