Bring your lesson to life at one of London's most elegant historic houses and home to the extensive Wernher art collection. This Georgian villa is the perfect place to experience culture and inspire creativity.
“Having just got back from a school visit to the Ranger's House, I can safely say the students had a rich and fantastically contextual experience which inspired them all in the starting point of their next art and textile theme of ‘heritage’. Would highly recommend!”
Mr Hopkins, GCSE Art Teacher at St Matthews Academy, Blackheath
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Please note that we are currently experiencing high volumes of enquiries about our education visits, so we might take a little longer to come back to you.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- In order to process your enquiry as quickly as possible, please ensure you have provided the following information, or have this information ready when you speak to one of our advisers: visit arrival and departure time; age range of the group; subject(s) to be studied; learning objective; number of learners and leaders; name of trip organiser; name of trip leader; SEND requirements.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
Bring art and history to life at Ranger's House:
- KS4-5 Art & Design, Art History: Develop knowledge and understanding of art, craft and design in historical contexts, societies and cultures.
Free self-led visits
Discover the beautiful interiors of Ranger's House, and the Wernher collection, with over 700 works of art, including medieval sculptures, enamels, ornate jewellery, Renaissance paintings, Dutch Old Masters and French tapestries. To make the most of your visit, download our KS4 Self-Led Artworks Guide, for invaluable insight into the history of art, artists and craftspeople as well as useful site information.Enquire now
Book A Free Exclusive Conservation Tour
Enhance your visit and book a free behind-the-scenes tour of the conservation studio. This is an exclusive opportunity for students to discover what is involved in conserving precious paintings and frames. These tours are subject to staff availability and must be booked in advance of your visit. Please book your tour when booking your visit to Ranger's House. Please note, a maximum of ten students are allowed in the studio at one time.
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to help support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free Learning Resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team are on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
We’re here to support your school trip planning this term. To start your enquiry, it's best to complete our online form. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance. Please make sure you check our terms and conditions ahead of your visit.
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch to speak to your local Education Visits Officer.
Please note that we are experiencing high volumes of enquiries about our education visits so we might take longer than usual to come back to you. We’re currently prioritising the most urgent enquiries. We will respond as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. We look forward to seeing you soon.