Discover famous figures such as the Duke of Wellington and William Pitt the Younger and learn more about local history in a fun and engaging way. Plus, use our new learning centre and teaching resources to explore Walmer Castle's gardens and woodland.
Step back in time and explore the history of Walmer Castle.
- KS1-3 History: Local history study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality
- KS1-2 Science: Working scientifically; plants; animals; living things and their habitats
- KS1-2 Geography: Geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS2 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509–1745; ideas, political power, industry and empire in Britain 1745–1901
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Walmer Castle and Gardens and plan your day to suit your curriculum needs. Borrow our free Treasure Boxes, specifically designed for KS1 and KS2, to find out more about the significant figures who lived at the castle, and see the Duke of Wellington's original Wellington boots! Take inspiration from our gardens for Art and Design projects, as well as exploring the wildlife in the ornamental pond and woodland.ENQUIRE NOW
Outdoor learning at Walmer Castle
Our brand new learning centre, made possible thanks to a grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, is now open. The centre has been specially designed to enable schools to explore and discover the magnificent gardens and woodland at Walmer Castle. Entry is free, and our new online and on-site teaching resources will help support KS1 and KS2 science and geography with interactive and sensory learning experiences.Enquire now
Plan your visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team are on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.