Discover famous figures such as the Duke of Wellington and William Pitt the Younger and learn more about local history in a fun and engaging way. Plus, use our new learning centre and teaching resources to explore Walmer Castle's gardens and woodland.
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
You and your group don’t need to have a COVID Pass to visit, but please don’t visit if you or any of your group have symptoms of Covid-19, have tested positive or if you’ve been asked to self-isolate. We’ll always follow the latest government guidance, and if anything changes we’ll update this page to let you know our plans.
Important information to consider before you book:
- Face coverings are now legally required in all our indoor public places, including our visitor centres, shops, on all on-site transport, and in our cafes except when you are eating or drinking (unless exempt)
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- In order to process your enquiry as quickly as possible, please ensure you have provided the following information, or have this information ready when you speak to one of our advisers: visit arrival and departure time; age range of the group; subject(s) to be studied; learning objective; number of learners and leaders; name of trip organiser; name of trip leader; SEND requirements. Go to our bookings page to make an enquiry or update an existing booking.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.Enquire Now
Step back in time and explore the history of Walmer Castle.
- KS1-3 History: Local history study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality
- KS1-2 Science: Working scientifically; plants; animals; living things and their habitats
- KS1-2 Geography: Geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS2 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509–1745; ideas, political power, industry and empire in Britain 1745–1901
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Walmer Castle and Gardens and plan your day to suit your curriculum needs. Explore the extensive grounds of this historic castle to learn about living things and their habitats, and the many plants. Plus, take inspiration from the gardens for Art and Design projects.Enquire now
Outdoor learning at Walmer Castle
Our brand new learning centre, made possible thanks to a grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, is now open. The centre has been specially designed to enable schools to explore and discover the magnificent gardens and woodland at Walmer Castle. Entry is free, and our new online and on-site teaching resources will help support KS1 and KS2 science and geography with interactive and sensory learning experiences.Enquire now
Blooming Gardens Art Exhibition for KS4-5
Take part in this year’s Blooming Gardens Art Exhibition for KS4 and KS5 students.
The exhibition is designed to complement your classroom work and provide a creative outlet for students beyond their portfolio, enabling them to showcase their work in the unique setting that inspired it.
Walmer Castle provides an opportunity for students to explore a wide range of organic forms and colours in the gardens and study the contrast between the built environment and natural forms.
Your students can visit for free as many times as they need to gather inspiration to create their own piece of art in any media.
Register for more information and to book a free self-led visit with your students. Our Education Visits Officer will also be in touch to discuss the event with you.Register to take part
Plan your visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team are on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch using the online form on our bookings page to speak to your local Education Visits Officer. We look forward to seeing you soon.