Discover famous figures such as the Duke of Wellington and William Pitt the Younger and learn more about local history in a fun and engaging way. Plus, use our new learning centre and teaching resources to explore Walmer Castle's gardens and woodland.
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
Step back in time and explore the history of Walmer Castle.
- KS1-3 History: Local history study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality
- KS1-2 Science: Working scientifically; plants; animals; living things and their habitats
- KS1-2 Geography: Geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS2 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509–1745; ideas, political power, industry and empire in Britain 1745–1901
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Walmer Castle and Gardens and plan your day to suit your curriculum needs. Explore the extensive grounds of this historic castle to learn about living things and their habitats, and the many plants. Plus, take inspiration from the gardens for Art and Design projects.Enquire now
Plan your visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team are on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
School visits academic year 2020-21
In line with the latest government guidelines for schools, we’re currently unable to accept education visits, and bookings are temporarily closed. If your visit is affected our team will be in touch to help you book another date. We’ll share more details on our opening arrangements soon.
Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer.