Blue Plaques

DE GAULLE, General Charles (1890-1970)

Plaque erected in 1984 by Greater London Council at 4 Carlton Gardens, St James's, London, SW1Y 5AA, City of Westminster

All images © English Heritage




Armed Forces, Philanthropy and Reform


GENERAL CHARLES DE GAULLE President of the French National Committee set up the Headquarters of the Free French Forces here in 1940



During the Second World War, General Charles de Gaulle led France’s government-in-exile, the French National Committee, and set up the headquarters of the Free French Forces at 4 Carlton Gardens in St James’s in late July 1940. Later he was the founding force behind the Fifth Republic and served as the President of France for 10 years. 

General de Gaulle at the BBC on 18 June 1940, making a vibrant call for resistance against the German occupation of France © Keystone-France/Gamma-Keystone via Getty Images


Born in Lille, de Gaulle pursued a military career, and was promoted brigadier-general not long after the outbreak of the Second World War. He served briefly as Under-Secretary of State for War, but rebelled against the government led by Marshal Pétain – which sought a truce with Nazi Germany – and fled to London.

On 18 June 1940, the day after his arrival, de Gaulle used the BBC radio service – with the support of Winston Churchill – to deliver his famous address in which he encouraged his countrymen to continue to fight occupation. He concluded the broadcast with the words: ‘Whatever happens the flame of French resistance must not and shall not be extinguished.’

Sentenced to death in absentia, de Gaulle set about organising the so-called Free French Forces, which by the end of 1944 numbered one million individuals. Following liberation, he became head of the French Provisional Government, and in 1958 he became the first President under France’s new Fifth Republic, a post he held until 1969.


Initially, it was intended that the plaque be placed on 3 Carlton Gardens, a building dating from around 1828 and which housed de Gaulle’s private office, where he slept on occasion. However, at the suggestion of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, it was placed on the neighbouring number 4, which housed most of the Free French departments.

The forces were associated with this building until mid-1944, though their headquarters was moved to Algiers in 1943. Under the selection criteria, de Gaulle was not eligible for a blue plaque when the proposal was made in 1983, because he had died only 13 years earlier. However, it was deemed that because the plaque would commemorate the wider associations of the site as much as the individual, an exception could be made.

It was unveiled by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, in the presence of the French Ambassador and veterans of the Free French Forces on 5 June 1984, just hours before the 40th anniversary of the D-Day landings. The blue plaque rests next to the rectangular tablet of black marble set up by the Free French of London to record de Gaulle’s rallying call of 18 June 1940, which in turn sits alongside the blue plaque to the statesman Lord Palmerston

Nearby Blue Plaques

Nearby Blue Plaques

'step into englands story