Birdoswald Roman Fort is the perfect place for a school visit, you can explore the extensive remains of the Roman Fort and the longest continuous remaining stretch of this magnificent World Heritage Site can be seen here. Inside, the exhibition has interesting interactive displays and artefacts, as well as a model of the Wall at its full height.
A visit to Birdoswald offers curriculum links across three key stages:
- KS1-2: Local History Project
- KS2: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain
- KS3: A study of an aspect or theme in british history that extends pupils chronological knowledge before 1066
- KS3: Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day
Free School Visits
We offer free entry to qualifying learning groups. By booking a free education visit you can lead your own visit in your own way. We also have plenty of online resources to help you support and follow up your learning plan.
There aren’t many places on Hadrian’s Wall where you can actually wake up and go to bed in a Roman Fort. The 39 bed group accommodation in Birdoswald’s Farmhouse is perfect for school and education groups.
- Central location for exploring Hadrian’s Wall Country and the World Heritage site.
- Flexible catering: self-cater or use the range cooker, kitchen and eating area.
- Tearoom on site including fresh soups, sandwiches, cakes and hot/cold drinks.