Birdoswald Roman Fort is the perfect place for a school visit, you can explore the extensive remains of the Roman Fort and the longest continuous remaining stretch of this magnificent World Heritage Site can be seen here. Inside, the exhibition has interesting interactive displays and artefacts, as well as a model of the Wall at its full height.
A visit to Birdoswald offers curriculum links across three key stages:
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS1 History: How people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world
- KS2 History: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain: the 'Romanisation' of Britain and the impact of technology, culture and beliefs
- KS3 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils chronological knowledge before 1066
Free Self-led Visits
We offer free entry to qualifying learning groups. By booking a free education visit, you can lead your own visit in your own way. We also have plenty of online resources to help you plan your trip. Download the free resources below to ensure students get the most out of their learning before, during and after your visit.
There aren’t many places on Hadrian’s Wall where you can actually wake up and go to bed in a Roman Fort. The 39 bed group accommodation in Birdoswald’s Farmhouse is perfect for school and education groups.
- Central location for exploring Hadrian’s Wall Country and the World Heritage site.
- Flexible catering: self-cater or use the range cooker, kitchen and eating area.
- Tearoom on site including fresh soups, sandwiches, cakes and hot/cold drinks.
PLAN YOUR TRIP
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.