Carisbrooke Castle has experienced sieges, imprisoned kings and seen off the Spanish Armada. Explore a history that spans over 1000 years and learn about how its role has changed from fortified defence to home of the Lord Lieutenant of the Island. Bring the curriculum to life and stand at the spot where history happened.
"A day at Carisbrooke Castle is better than weeks in the classroom! Children love that it looks like a 'real' castle."
Year 6 teacher
Support your teaching in a fun and engaging way, with a visit to Carisbrooke Castle.
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS1 History: Similarities and differences between ways of life in different time periods; significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS1-3 English and Drama: Take on the role of Carisbrooke's most famous residents and their servants to find out what life was really like
- KS2-3 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of Church, state and society in Britain
- KS3 Geography: Find out about the strategic importance of the castle
Free self-led visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Carisbrooke Castle and design your own day to suit your curriculum needs. Carisbrooke has been an important focus of settlement since Roman times and illustrates the domestic side of castle life as well and its use for attack and defence. Visit our famous resident donkeys in the Elizabethan wheelhouse and explore the different parts of the castle.ENQUIRE NOW
Expert-led Discovery Visits
Let our costumed experts lead a Discovery Visit for you for just £100 per session and delve deeper into the story of the castle and the people who lived there. Our hands-on sessions provide fun and inspiring educational activities and bring Carisbrooke Castle to life.Find out more
PLAN YOUR VISIT
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.