Osborne offers a real insight into the private lives of Queen Victoria and her family. Their Isle of Wight home can support learning in many aspects of the curriculum, across numerous subjects.
"Our pupils love visiting Osborne as there’s so much to see and do. A trip to the house, the gardens, Swiss Cottage and the beach inspire them and enhance their learning."
Support your teaching in the classroom by stepping out of it. A visit to Osborne will help you bring learning to life, covering multiple topics across the curriculum and key stages.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality. Significant changes beyond living memory. The lives of significant individuals in the past
- KS1 Science: Identify a variety of plants and trees, describe the basic structure of a variety of flowering plants and trees. Identify that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited, identify a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including microhabitats
- KS2 History: A local history study. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Science: Working scientifically. Identify and name a variety of living things in the local and wider environment
- KS2 Art and Design: Use the house and grounds as inspiration for the pupils' own work, create sketch books to record observations
- KS3 History: A local history study. Ideas, political power, industry and empire: Britain, 1745-1901
- KS3 Art and Design: History of art, craft, design and architecture
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Osborne and design your day to suit your curriculum needs. Explore the house and grounds, including the beach and the Swiss Cottage. In the education room, dress up like a Royal child living at Osborne and use our replica grocery, based on the original one used by the Royal children in the Swiss Cottage, to weigh out goods and work out the total cost.
Due to limitations on capacity inside the main house and the Swiss Cottage, booking a time slot to visit these is essential. Please request a slot when making your booking. If you wish to use the Education Room, it must also be requested when making your booking.Enquire Now
Expert-Led Discovery Visits
Our award-winning expert-led Discovery Visits are interactive and immersive. Best of all, we lead them for you. At just £100 per session per class they have been specifically designed to meet the needs of different groups across the key stages. Discover the exciting world of Victorian explorers through object handling and storytelling, have housekeeper Mrs Pilkington put your class through their paces as Victorian household staff, or discover the history and geology of the Isle of Wight.FIND OUT MORE
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
How to book
0370 333 0606
Education Opening Times
- January to March: Saturday and Sunday 10.00 – 16.00
- April to September: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 18.00
- October: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 17.00
- November and December: Saturday and Sunday 10.00 – 16.00