Explore the incredible fortified manor house with a great hall that's remained unchanged for 700 years and discover the fascinating story of the Shropshire wool merchant who became one of the richest men in England. Whatever your topic or key stage, a visit to Stokesay Castle can help bring history to life for your class.
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Please note that we are currently experiencing high volumes of enquiries about our education visits, so we might take a little longer to come back to you.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- In order to process your enquiry as quickly as possible, please ensure you have provided the following information, or have this information ready when you speak to one of our advisers: visit arrival and departure time; age range of the group; subject(s) to be studied; learning objective; number of learners and leaders; name of trip organiser; name of trip leader; SEND requirements.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
Support your teaching in the classroom by stepping out of it. A visit to Stokesay Castle will help you bring learning to life, covering multiple topics across the curriculum and Key Stages.
- KS1-2 History: Local history study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS2 History: Study of a site dating from a period beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality
- KS3 History: Development of church, state and society in Britain 1066-1509 and 1509-1750; causes and events of the civil wars throughout Britain
- KS4 History: GCSE: Study of the historic environment, suitable for AQA or OCR History B
Free Self-Led Visits
Whether studying local history or looking for inspiration for art or storywriting, lead your class on a free school visit to Stokesay Castle to spark their imagination and make learning memorable. Explore the Great Hall, North Tower, South Tower, Solar and Gatehouse, and learn about the castle's most famous resident, Laurence of Ludlow, as you immerse your students in over 700 years of history.
Download the Teachers' Kit below to support your teaching and learning before, during and after a visit.Enquire now
PLAN YOUR TRIP
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
We’re here to support your school trip planning this term. To start your enquiry, it's best to complete our online form. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance. Please make sure you check our terms and conditions ahead of your visit.
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch to speak to your local Education Visits Officer.
Please note that we are experiencing high volumes of enquiries about our education visits so we might take longer than usual to come back to you. We’re currently prioritising the most urgent enquiries with visit requests between now and end of October 2021. If you are enquiring about a visit outside of that time we will respond as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. We look forward to seeing you soon.