Discover 2000 years of history at Tynemouth Castle and Priory, on a free education visit with your class. Overlooking the North Sea and the River Tyne, Tynemouth dominates the headland, and since its origin as an Iron Age settlement, the site has been an Anglo Saxon monastery, a medieval monastery, a royal castle and a costal defence.
Step back in time and explore the varied history of Tynemouth Castle and Priory, with curriculum links to History and Geography.
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places in the locality
- KS1-2 Geography: Geographical skills and fieldwork
- KS2 History: Britain’s settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots: Anglo-Saxon art and culture, Christian conversion. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2 Geography: Human geography: Types of settlement and land use
- KS2-3 History: A local history study
- KS3 History: Development of Church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509: Christendom, the importance of religion. Development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509-1745: The English Reformation. Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to the present day: First World War, Second World War
Free Self-Led Visits
Book a free self-led visit to discover the varied and rich history of Tynemouth Castle and Priory with your class. Once one of the largest fortified areas in England, you can follow the history of this site from the Iron Age, through to an Anglo Saxon monastery, a medieval monastery fortified against Scottish attack, and a coastal Tudor fort. Having survived the English Civil War, the site was later upgraded with anti aircraft guns and radar to defend the coastline during the First and Second World Wars. Today you can explore the castle and priory, visit a beautiful 15th century chapel, and see the restored gun battery and cannon.ENQUIRE NOW
Plan your visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team are on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.