Wrest Park boasts vast beautiful grounds, formal gardens and rooms within the Georgian mansion to explore, as well as a dedicated education room and outdoor space. Wrest Park's magnificent surrounding and rich history provides a great day out for schools, covering multiple topics and curriculum links.
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. Most of our English Heritage sites are now open, including indoor spaces and cafes. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
- KS2: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066.
- KS3: Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to present. Explore Wrest Park's important role as a wartime hospital.
- KS1-2 Science: Identify and describe the functions of different parts of flowering plants.
- KS2 English: Develop positive attitudes towards and stamina for writing.
- KS3 Geographical Skills and Fieldwork: With vast grounds to explore, students can use compass directions and locational language.
- KS1-4 Art & Design: Produce creative work, exploring ideas and recording experiences.
Free self-led visits
Wrest Park lends itself to exploration. Your class can explore over 90 acres of landscape design showcasing French, Dutch, Italian and English styles side by side. Find out more about the garden and the people who shaped it, in our exhibition in the house.
Exploring the landscape at Wrest Park is a great way to get outside and support your studies in the fresh air. Take inspiration for your literacy project, enjoy the woodland and read with your class, discover the ecology of the estate and the varied plants. Make use of our education room to complete work relating to your visit and as a lunch space.Enquire now
Expert-Led Discovery Visits
We aren’t running our Discovery Visit at this site at the moment – we’re unable to adapt our session in a way that would still provide a quality, immersive education experience. We can get in touch with you once it’s running again – just sign up below to be notified when bookings are open.Register your interest
Plan Your Visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
We’re pleased to confirm we’re now taking bookings online until 30 September. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance.
Our site staff and education team are still working hard to keep everyone safe and we continue to follow government guidance.
Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer.