Come and discover the semi-subterranean bunker which acted as a nerve centre during the Cold War to monitor nuclear fallout in Yorkshire from 1961 until 1991 in the event of a nuclear attack.
A visit to York Bunker offers curriculum-insight across various key stages:
- KS2-4: Local History Project
- KS3: Challenges for Britain, Europe and the wider world 1901 to present day
- GCSE/A/AS Level/Degree: The Cold War, Communist Russia, World Superpowers
Facilities For Learning Groups
- A free site visit to help you plan your school trip
- 20% discount on the official EH site guidebook.
- Parking is located directly opposite the site entrance.
- A unique handling collection to help supplement your visit
expert led school visits
Immerse yourself in our fascinating hands-on expert led Discovery visit:
HOT WAR COLD WAR (KS2-KS4, A Level, Universities): Explore one of the best surviving nuclear bunkers in England - a time capsule of the 1960s through to the 1990s - and gain an understanding of the nuclear arms race. Why did the Cold War emerge? What was the role of the Royal Observation Corps in York's bunker? Through an expert-led tour, object handling and original audio-visual footage, students will develop a greater understanding of life inside and outside the bunker during this potentially devastating era. Duration: 1 1/2 Hours Cost: £100 for up to 35 people
ENQUIRE NOW - Call 0370 333 0606.