Follow in the footsteps of William the Conqueror who ordered the building of this mighty fortress mound in 1068. Clifford's Tower was a symbol of his power and today is a lasting remnant of the medieval castle. Let your students experience what life was like in medieval York.
Please note: Clifford's Tower is currently closed whilst we undertake vital conservation works to protect the tower and make improvements for visitors. Keep an eye on our website and social media for updates on the project.
Information about your visit
Our number one priority remains the health, safety and security of all of our visitors, staff and volunteers. Our staff are still working hard to keep everyone safe and make sure you and your group have an enjoyable visit.
Please note that we are currently experiencing high volumes of enquiries about our education visits, so we might take a little longer to come back to you.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’re continuing to limit visitor numbers at some sites and in some indoor spaces. Please book as soon as possible to secure your preferred trip date and times.
- In order to process your enquiry as quickly as possible, please ensure you have provided the following information, or have this information ready when you speak to one of our advisers: visit arrival and departure time; age range of the group; subject(s) to be studied; learning objective; number of learners and leaders; name of trip organiser; name of trip leader; SEND requirements.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit and make sure you download our COVID risk assessments; download a free copy of managing education visits during the pandemic and if you're participating in a Discovery Visit download our managing Discovery Visits during the pandemic risk assessment
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- You’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our terms and conditions for full details.
- Although is it not a requirement, any teachers, parents, or students aged 16 years can check in via the NHS Test and Trace app, using the NHS QR code posters displayed at the site entrance. Please factor this into your travel/arrival time. For more information about how we are handling your personal data for NHS Test and Trace please visit this page.
- Our staff are continuing to wear a face covering in our busy areas and indoor spaces, and we encourage you and your group to do the same where possible.
At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to keep you and your group safe at all times, but for certain sessions we’re still working on this – please check the Discovery Visit section and Facilities section on this page below for further information.
Support your teaching in the classroom by stepping out of it. A visit to Clifford's Tower will help you bring learning to life, covering multiple topics across the curriculum and key stages.
- KS1-3 History: Local History Study
- KS1 History: Significant historical events, people and places
- KS2 History: Extending chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of church, state and society in medieval Britain 1066-1509
Free self-led visits
Book a free self-led visit and lead your day in your own way. Let your students climb to the top of the tower and enjoy the panoramic views over the city of York from the wall walk. View the model of the motte and bailey castle, demonstrating what the area around the keep would have looked like after it was rebuilt in stone between the 13th and 16th centuries. We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking.Enquire now
Plan your visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
0370 333 0606
We’re here to support your school trip planning this term. To start your enquiry, it's best to complete our online form. All bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance. Please make sure you check our terms and conditions ahead of your visit.
If you’d like more information about a site or one of our workshops, get in touch to speak to your local Education Visits Officer.
Please note that we are experiencing high volumes of enquiries about our education visits so we might take longer than usual to come back to you. We’re currently prioritising the most urgent enquiries with visit requests between now and end of October 2021. If you are enquiring about a visit outside of that time we will respond as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. We look forward to seeing you soon.