A school visit to Housesteads Roman Fort is a unique experience. Stood high on the wild Whin Sill escarpment, Housesteads is the most complete example of a Roman fort anywhere in Britain, but what was life like for the 800 soldiers based here? With a history that goes back almost 2,000 years, Housesteads can offer a great insight into what life was like in Roman Britain, with both free self-led visits and tours led by our experts available.
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
- English Heritage are legally required to request and record the contact details of customers and visitors aged 16 years and over. The information that you provide will only be shared with NHS Test and Trace, if requested. For more information and for details of our safety measures, please see our what to expect page.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
A visit to Housesteads Roman Fort offers cross-curricular learning across numerous subjects in a fun and engaging way.
- KS1 History: The national and global significance of Hadrian's Wall
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS2 History: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain; the 'Romanisation' of Britain and the impact of technology, culture and beliefs
- KS3 History: a study of an aspect or site in local history dating from a period before 1066
Free Self-led Visits
We offer free entry to qualifying learning groups. Book a free education visit and lead your own visit in your own way. We have plenty of online resources available to download and use in the classroom before, during and after your visit.Enquire now
Expert-led Discovery Visits
Inspire and engage your students on an expert-led Discovery Visit. Our session has been specifically designed to meet the needs of different groups across the key stages and provide students with a fun and informative understanding of Roman life.
Our Meet a Roman Soldier Discovery Visit has been adapted to follow health and safety guidelines and will still offer your students a quality and fun learning experience.
We can’t run our Murder at the Fort Discovery Visit at the moment as we’re unable to adapt the session in a way that would still provide a quality, immersive education experience. We can get in touch with you once it’s running again – just sign up to get notified when bookings are back open.FIND OUT MORE about Meet a Roman Soldier
Plan your trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
School visits academic year 2020-21
In line with government guidance, over 60 of our English Heritage sites are open for education visits, and we’re taking bookings online up to 30 June.
Our COVID-secure measures will remain in place until all restrictions are lifted. Visitor numbers are limited, and all bookings must be made at least 14 days in advance.
English Heritage are legally required to request and record the contact details of customers and visitors aged 16 years and over. The information that you provide will only be shared with NHS Test and Trace, if requested. For more information and for details of our safety measures, please see our what to expect page.
Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer.