With 1700 years of history, Portchester Castle covers everything from the Romans, to medieval kings, all the way to the Napoleonic Wars. Follow in their footsteps and explore its exciting and varied history.
"The children had a great day - a very informative visit"
Portchester Castle covers multiple time periods within the history curriculum, as well as cross-curricular links across numerous subjects.
- KS1 History: Identify similarities and differences between ways of life in different time periods; significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS2 History: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain. Britain's settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends the pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS2-3 History: A local history study
- KS3 History: The development of church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509. Ideas, political power, industry & empire: Britain 1745-1901: the French Revolutionary wars & Napoloeonic wars
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Portchester Castle and design your own day to suit your curriculum needs. Walk within the Roman walls, explore the ruins of Richard II's Palace and stand at the top of the Great Tower to survey the landscape. Discover the more recent history of the castle as a prison during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars, when it housed up to 8,000 prisoners at any one time, including black and mixed race prisoners from the Caribbean. Download our resources at the bottom of this page for historical information and activity suggestions to support your visit.ENQUIRE NOW
Expert-led Discovery Visits
Immerse your class in the history of Portchester Castle. Our costumed re-enactors will lead your pupils on a hands-on Discovery Visit. Pupils will dress up, handle replica objects and get involved with fun educational activties. At just £100 per session, they're a great way to delve deeper into the history of the castle and the people who lived there.Find out more
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
How to book
Bookings are best made online and we will contact you within 5 days of your enquiry.
0370 333 0606
Education opening times
- March: Friday to Monday 10.00 – 16.00
- April to September: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 18.00
- October: Monday to Sunday 10.00 – 17.00
- November to February: Saturday and Sunday 10.00 – 16.00