With 1700 years of history, Portchester Castle covers everything from the Romans, to medieval kings, all the way to the Napoleonic Wars. Follow in their footsteps and explore its exciting and varied history.
"The children had a great day - a very informative visit"
Portchester Castle covers multiple time periods within the history curriculum, as well as cross-curricular links across numerous subjects in a fun and engaging way.
- KS1-3 History: A local history study
- KS1 History: Identify similarities and differences between ways of life in different time periods; significant historical events, people and places in their own locality
- KS2 History: The Roman Empire and its impact on Britain; Britain's settlement by Anglo-Saxons and Scots
- KS2-3 History: A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends the pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3 History: The development of church, state and society in Medieval Britain 1066-1509
Free Self-Led Visits
Enjoy a free self-led visit to Portchester Castle and design your own day to suit your curriculum needs. Explore the ruins of Richard II's Palace and walk within the Roman walls. Stand at the top of the Great Tower and survey the landscape. Use our free handling collection full of artefacts to discover the stories of the people who lived at the castle.ENQUIRE NOW
Expert-led Discovery Visits
Immerse your class in the history of Portchester Castle. Our costumed re-enactors will lead your pupils on a hands-on Discovery Visit. Pupils will dress up, handle replica objects and get involved with fun educational activties. At just £100 per session, they're a great way to delve deeper into the history of the castle and the people who lived there.Find out more
Plan Your Visit
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.