Overlooking the modern London skyline, the beautifully renovated interiors of Kenwood and stunning surrounding landscape gives school groups plenty to see and experience for a historical or art and design based visit.
Explore the unexpected yet fascinating story of previous owner of Kenwood-Lord Mansfield and his role in the abolition of the transatlantic slave trade with our expert-led Discovery Visit for KS3 school groups.
Schools are able to enjoy exclusive access to the ground floor of the house on Wednesday mornings from 9.30-11.00am. A new one-way route is in place.
Information about your visit
A visit to one of our sites will inspire your students and bring your teaching to life. We'd like to reassure you that we're following Government guidance to make your trip as safe and enjoyable as possible.
Important information to consider before you book:
- To keep everyone safe we’ve introduced limits on visitor numbers and school groups, so please bear this in mind when booking your trip.
- Find out more about what to expect on your school visit, which also includes our Covid 19 Risk Assessment.
- To make the planning process as easy as possible, make sure you check our Plan Your School Trip section at the bottom of this page, for updated information on the facilities at the site as well as our free resources.
- As usual, you’ll need to book your visit at least 14 days in advance. Please check our Terms and Conditions for full details.
We’re continually updating our education offer in line with government guidance. At some sites you might not be able to use our handling collections or costumes as part of a free self-led visit, but where we can provide hands-on items in a safe way we will. We’ve adapted our Discovery Visit workshops to follow government guidelines, but for certain sessions this hasn’t been possible – please check our schools webpages for further information.
There may be areas of our sites which are closed, so please check what’s available for your school group on our property webpages and with our booking team. They can put you in touch with our Education Visits Officers who can offer help and guidance, so you can make the most of your school trip.
Kenwood and the outstanding landscape of Hampstead Heath provide a wide range of curriculum opportunities:
- KS1-3: A local history study
- KS1: Significant historical events, people and places in your own locality. The lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements
- KS2: a study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils' chronological knowledge beyond 1066
- KS3: The development of Church, state and society in Britain 1509-1745.
- KS3: Ideas, political power, industry and Empire: Britain 1745-1901
- Plus KS1-2 Language & Literacy, KS1-4 Art & Design, KS2-3 Design & Technology, KS2 Geography (skills and fieldwork), KS1-2 Science and KS3 Citizenship
Free Self-led Visits
A neoclassical jewel on an 18th century gentleman's estate, Kenwood is a unique feature in the modern London landscape. Highlights include the renowned Robert Adam interiors housing the exquisite artwork from the Old Masters, and the stunning landscape of Hampstead Heath featuring intriguing sculptures and architecture to explore. From life in Georgian England, to Britain's role in the creation and abolition of the transatlantic slave trade, Kenwood boasts a variety of learning opportunities for school groups.Enquire now
Expert-led Discovery Visits
We aren’t running Discovery Visits at this site at the moment – we’re unable to adapt our sessions in a way that would still provide a quality, immersive education experience.
Plan Your Trip
We have a wide range of materials to support your visit and make school trip planning easy. Download our free resources to help you make the most out of your visit and create unique learning experiences before, during and after your trip.
We also offer free planning visits for group leaders once you have made a booking. Our Education Booking Team is on hand to advise and help you create the best possible school trip to suit your needs and area of study.
School visits from September 2020
Education bookings are now open and can make provisional bookings for visits from September 2020 to March 2021. Due to the current situation we can’t answer calls as quickly as we’d like to. If you’d like more information about a site, email us and we’ll put you in touch with an Education Visits Officer, or if you’d like to book a visit you can use our online booking form.